Friday, February 1, 2013

Mickey and Jammie: Under the Influence


Under the Influence

So, Mickey and I were having our Friday night Happy Hour, enjoying the snow falling in our sun room. The room was mostly dark, with the only light coming from the fireplace, the palm tree and the back patio light to show the snowfall.  We were drinking summery drinks to fool ourselves about the outside temperature and, as usual, we were getting kind of silly.

Mickey had lasik vision correction surgery a couple of weeks ago and he's not only getting used to being able to see far ( he only wore his glasses at night for driving and to watch tv), he has to get used to not being able to see as well up close.  He's been on a reading glasses mission, trying to find the right quantity, style, placement around the house and magnification. We got into a discussion about reading glasses and bifocals, etc.  It started fairly normally, for that conversation, and then it got weird, as many episodes of the Mickey and Jammie show do.

Mickey insists to people that I wear bifocal contact lenses, which don't actually exist. No matter how many times I explain multifocal lenses and monovision correction, and all the other things I, quietly, use to see the best I possibly can, he goes around making loud declarations about bifocal contact lenses.  No one really cares about the correct details, so I just nod and smile and let him say whatever.  But, at home, alone, we tend to have more detailed conversations.

Mickey:  Are your glasses bifocals?
Jam:  No. They are single vision?  The difference is too small to bother with bifocals.  I just slide them down my nose when I need to see better up close.
Mickey:  How does that work?
Jam:  My glasses prescription is different from my contact lens prescription because of  the distance between the lens and my eyeball.  So, I can kind of change the way I see by adjusting my glasses.  I'll be fine this way... until I run out of nose, I guess.  Then, the eye doctor will have to write a prescription for bifocals, I  guess.
Mickey:  You could always get a nose job.


No comments:

Post a Comment