Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Bait and Tackle Shop

It was another Friday night in the sun room, drinking summery drinks and getting silly while we enjoyed the glow of the palm tree and flames licking up in the fireplace.  Now, the sun room is 3 walls that are mostly window and one wall that's, well, wall.  There were a lot of nails to hang things, but all pretty low on the one, the only wall from when we moved in.  Mickey had an old girlfriend who must have really gotten into Americana, because he hung some little flaggy thing on every nail. He admired his handiwork, informing me how pleased he was, because it looked just like a gift shop.

I don't collect anything I have to dust or clean. I just plain refuse. Yes, I collect books. Now, that my bookshelves and all the extra new bookshelves in the new house are filled to the brim, I collect nook books. I really never have to dust them!  Okay, I have two walls of our coat closet have bags displayed on them. But, these are useful things, so I don't think they count.

Little by little, we've been switching over from the Americana.   The sun room looks out at the pool area and our pretty patio with the outdoor kitchen and I love all of that. I had a box of my mom's old stuff and she was decorating with a lot of palm trees and lighthouses.  Mickey started putting the lighthouses on the tables and the high window ledges of the room.  A few framed pictures, of lighthouses and other seashore like designs got hung up there as well.  Lately we added a painted seashell I got in Wildwood and a Palm tree ornament he picked up for me.  

As we are sitting enjoying the ambiance of our happy cozy little sun room, Mickey looks around and suggests that we hand crab and lobster traps, maybe some fishnets in the room.  As I look at him like he's grown a second head, he says, "it'll be just like a bait and tackle shop."  Now, that's how he refers to it.  I told him that I draw the line at worms!

In his defense, he loves my mermaid painting and  it is now framed and displayed in the sun room. 


No comments:

Post a Comment